I had a friend of mine tell me that I must be wonder mom. I completely dismissed her and even gave her the “are you serious” look because I knew full well what I have not been able to do as a mother. I have had a few things that I have learned really well (and plenty of others that I am still learning) and thought I should share them just in case there were mothers out there that had not heard of these bits before.
1) clothes are replaceable – don’t stress over keeping them “nice” because you will make yourself and the child unhappy. Let the darn kids play and have fun, those are the memories you want them to have, not some clothes that will be out dated for their kids anyway.
2) it is okay to tell your kids no and stick to it – I have taught at schools where the kids don’t get told “no” enough as little kids or they did but mom and dad finally broke down, those kids were the hardest kids to be around. You are not supposed to be their friends, you are training little adults!
3) a cheap pizza cutter doesn’t work for pizza but is GREAT on pancakes and waffles – this is not an original, stole it from another mother somewhere that learned this lesson before me. I am almost to the point of taking one with us next time we head to IHOP! 🙂
Those are just a few things I feel that I have pretty good control over and that I “know” what I am doing. (Trust me the list isn’t much longer than that, and I can’t always explain how to make #1 and #2 work, but I have #3 nailed!)
Things I don’t have under control or feel like I know what I am doing all the time.
1) How to keep the kids from fighting with one another – sibling stuff I understand but there are some things that I think are just plain mean and I don’t understand how to get this one of my children to stop being ultra mean to one of the other siblings. :\
2) Giving my children regular baths – I read something while pregnant that said that children under the age of hormone influx do not require a bath every day and that it will make it harder for their bodies to figure out how to properly adjust to the environment and oil production. I took this to heart a little too well. I sometimes can’t remember the last time they had a bath (mostly with the babies, the bigger ones are starting to carry a smell if it is too long). I just don’t enjoy the 1.5 – 2 hours it takes to get them all washed. Should finish the second bathroom with the tub so that this chore won’t be such a chore. 😉
3) Clipping the kids finger nails – I used to be really good at this one. I would sit down with the kids once a week with my little bath basket with the clippers, combs, detangler, etc. and we would clip once a week. I didn’t have so much on my plate then and I only had 4 kids instead of 5 but this one even bugs me! Their nails get soooo nasty! Making a point to fix this one, for them, me and others! 🙂
Okay, so there are a few confessions, advice, ramblings, whatever you want to think of them. Praying that this finds everyone in a great place in their lives! Or maybe just makes you appreciate the point you are in better because “at least I am not in her place”! 😀 God bless!